Center seat and 3-across carseat installations in the Toyota RAV4 / Hybrid / Prime
This is a quick video overview of using the Graco SlimFit3 LX (or True3Fit LX at Walmart) in current generation 2019+ Toyota RAV4 middle seat positions. The new Graco SlimFit3 LX is narrow enough that Graco has confirmed that three of these will fit 3-across in a 2019, 2020, and 2021 RAV4. It may also work adjacent or 3-across with some similarly narrow car seats. Since the RAV4 is a compact vehicle, like any small car or SUV, it may require trial and error and additional effort if you are attempting to install three carseats. For general tips, please see our 3-across car seat guide: https://carseatblog.com/49714/3across/
Using the Graco SlimFit3 LX in the center seating position should allow you to fold the driver side section of the rear seat or allow an adult or almost any other car seat to fit on the driver side. The difficulty will be the loss of space on the passenger side that may only leave enough room for another very narrow car seat or a pre-teen or slender teen in that seat. Anything other than the narrowest boosters (like the BubbleBum shown below) may not leave enough room to buckle on the passenger side. Our review of the Graco SlimFit3 LX (True3Fit): https://carseatblog.com/52131/slimfit3lxreview/
Question: Can the SlimFit3™ LX 3-in-1 Car Seat fit 3-across in a Toyota RAV4?
Graco evaluated the following seats/modes of use 3-across in a 2019 Toyota RAV4:
- ICS = Graco® SnugRide® SnugLock® 35 Infant Car Seat
- RF = Graco® SlimFit3™ LX in rear-facing mode
- FF = Graco® SlimFit3™ LX in forward-facing mode
- HBB = Graco® TurboBooster® Highback Booster
The following configurations can fit 3-across (Order: Passenger, Center, Driver):
- FF, FF, FF
- RF, FF, FF
- RF, FF, ICS
- RF, FF, HBB
- FF, FF, HBB
- RF, RF, RF
Installations can vary by vehicle model, year, trim level and options.
When installing Graco car seats side-by-side, the following criteria should be met:
- Graco car seats can touch, but should not overlap. Overlapping seats can interfere with the proper installation of the car seats.
- Car seats should not move more than 1” at the belt path when securely installed. When installing seats side-by-side, each car seat should be independently secure. Install each seat and test for tightness one at a time before moving on to the next installation. We recommend starting with installing the center seat first.
- If the cup holders are interfering with installing the seats side-by-side, remove a cup holder from one of the seats for a better fit. The cup holder of one SlimFit3™ LX can sit in front of the seat beside it.
For more information on using car seats in the 2019, 2020 and 2021 RAV4, please see our reviews that focus on kids, car seats and safety:
Our review of the 2019-2021 RAV4 Hybrid: https://carseatblog.com/47623/
Our review of the 2021 RAV4 Prime: https://carseatblog.com/50912/