The risk of a child pedestrian being killed by a driver is twice as high on Halloween night.
If you are driving on Halloween (especially during the hours of 4-8 pm when most young pedestrian deaths occur) please exercise extreme caution and follow these 5 simple tips:
1. Drive slowly and don’t pass stopped vehicles. The driver might be dropping off children.
2. Park your cell phone. Tonight is the worst possible night to be a distracted driver!
3. Watch for children darting into the street. Kids can cross the street anywhere and most young pedestrian deaths happen at spots other than intersections.
4. Always yield to young pedestrians. Children might not stop, either because they don’t see your vehicle approaching or don’t know how to safely cross the street.
5. Communicate with other drivers. Always use your turn signals and if you have to pull over to drop off or pick up your kids, turn on your hazard lights.