What’s new, improved and coming soon from Baby Trend, Britax, Chicco, Clek, Diono, Evenflo, GB, Cybex, Graco, Nuna, Peg Perego & Safety 1st
The Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) made the decision last year to split from the ABC Kids Expo and have its own show in the spring. This week, the CarseatBlog team has spent its time going from manufacturer to manufacturer to get the scoop for you—finding new information and fashions—and finding new goodies along the way!
Do you want the good news or the bad news first?
The Good News – a lot of great things are in the works from a bunch of different manufacturers. The future is exciting and full of cool new carseats and innovation!
The Bad News – we can’t talk about most of it (yet). Lol. We hate to tease but we are bound by NDAs in most cases, or the info is just embargoed until a specific date in the future. We hope that by the ABC Show in October we will be able to share some details on a few projects but for now just know that all the big players (and even some of the smaller manufacturers) are working on new stuff, improving existing platforms, and in general just upping their game. Some of these products will be available later this year but others won’t be on store shelves for another 12+ months.
However, not everything we saw or discussed was confidential or embargoed. There was some new, and new-ish, stuff to report on, so here you go, in alphabetical order . . .
Protect Convertible Series
- The base is hollowed out in the middle to help it fit better in the center of the back seat, which is sometimes contoured.
- Elite Version: available at BRU; has dual cup holders, lockoffs, and adjustable base; has a robust internal head restraint for rear-facers
- Premier Version: available at Target; has 1 cup holder, adjustable base, and a double insert for comfort and fit
- Sport Version: available at Wal-Mart; has 1 cup holder and a flip foot for rear-facing
- BT is bringing back the Inertia, which changed names to müv, and will now be called E-motion.
Fit2 LE Infant Seat
- Will continue to be made in Italy
- Alto fashion has leatherette trim
- The iX means Innovation Multiplied. Pretty cool, huh?
- Has new LockSure™ lockoffs that seat belt slides into, just like the KeyFit lockoffs
- Harness adjuster has a force multiplier to make tightening easier for caregiver
- Harness adjuster strap has also been reduced in width from 2″ to 1.5″ to reduce friction, which makes it easier for caregivers to pull tight
- Chest clip has been changed to an IMMI chest clip
- Is available in Shark, Raindrop, and Grape fashions
- Will continue to be a Target exclusive until 7/1/17
There will be new Air fashions in January 2018.
Check out the lovely limited edition purple (Peep) seats! Aura is the white shell version while Prince is the black shell version. Available in July while supplies last.
Also new is Cadet (white shell) and Woodlands (black shell).
Radius Infant Seat
- See our 2016 ABC Show write-up here
- 5-36 lbs., up to 35″
- Has ISOFIX (rigid LATCH), an anti-rebound bar, and EPP foam
- Crash indicator shows if seat needs to be replaced after minor crash
- Will pair with Diono’s Quantum stroller
- MSRP $329.99, extra base $179.99
Evenflo | Goodbaby | Cybex
- See our 2016 ABC Show write-up here
- Sirona M is still a prototype, but is closer to production; Cybex is aiming for a Winter release but that’s a fluid schedule
- Cybex has added technology to Sirona M in the form of M-Tek, which works similarly to Evenflo’s SensorSafe™ technology. M-Tek involves active monitoring of the child in the carseat, monitoring the vehicle interior temperature, access to instructions, connection to growth charts so app will remind caregivers when to adjust harness height, etc.
- Powerful magnets have been added to the sides to hold the harness tongues; don’t worry, they’ve been sealed for children’s safety and there are warnings
- The SnugLock line has 2 bases: regular and DLX. We’ll outline the difference between these 2 in an upcoming review, but both are super easy to install and use. Basically, regular is a simple arm that comes down to clamp on the seat belt/LATCH belt, while the DLX model has a larger swing arm and red belt guides.
- Both regular and DLX bases have deluxe push-on LATCH (InRight LATCH™), but some models that accompany travel systems may have hook-on style LATCH.
- Sequel is Extend2Fit without the leg extension panel. New fashions will be Anabelle and Malibu.
Pipa Infant Seat has new fashion in the Suited Collection, which has brushed gold accents and a hand-stitched leather carry handle grip. Check out the fineness. MSRP $349
Primo Viaggio 4-35 Nido Infant Seat
- 4-35 lbs.
- Has a load leg and an anti-rebound bar, as well as Euro belt routing for baseless installation
- Has an expandable canopy that can open to super size
- Has dual stage cushioning
- MSRP $349, extra base MSRP $129
Primo Viaggio 4-35 Infant Seat
- Will still be available concurrently with 4-35 Nido
- Compatible with Nido base
- MSRP $299
- onBoard LT is the Light ‘n Comfy platform with the onBoard base and padding