RECALL: Britax Marathon ClickTight, Boulevard ClickTight, and Advocate ClickTight Convertible Carseats
Britax is recalling all Marathon Clicktight (CT), Boulevard CT, and Advocate CT convertible carseat model numbers manufactured between August 1, 2014 and July 29, 2015 (see list below). There is a defect with the harness release button that can cause the harness release button to stick in the down position and not lock the harness system. This will allow the harness to loosen during use. No injuries have been reported and roughly 200,000 seats are affected.
NHTSA Recall Information
You have a ClickTight model if the seating panel opens to reveal the belt path like this:
You can find your date of manufacture label on the ClickTight panel, under your child’s left leg:
Here’s where the harness release button is:
Britax issued this recall after confirming consumer complaints. We were told that NHTSA did not previously have an active investigation of this issue and did not initiate the recall. The fix kit will be sent automatically to owners who have registered their carseat within 7-10 days. It will include a food-grade dry lubricant that will not attract dirt and should not otherwise degrade over time. A label will also be included to indicate if the seat has had the remedy applied.
What Should I Do?
- Consumers not having a button sticking issue should confirm that the harness release button presses and releases as expected and may continue using the seat.
- If your carseat is affected because the harness release button becomes stuck, then discontinue using the seat IMMEDIATELY and use a different carseat until your fix kit arrives and you apply the fix as instructed.
- For more information on this recall, go to http://britaxclicktightconvertiblerecall.com/.
- If you haven’t yet registered your carseat, do so NOW: https://us.britax.com/service-support/product-registration/ .
This recall does NOT affect Frontier 90 ClickTight or Pinnacle 90 ClickTight combination carseats. It also does NOT affect Britax “G4.1”, G4, G3 or older convertible carseats.
We are told this issue is related to a manufacturing tolerance issue on a part from a supplier on a relatively small percentage of parts. Due to the nature of the part, we are advised that seats that have been used regularly for some time and have not previously exhibited this issue previously are extremely unlikely to develop this issue over time. These seats that have not exhibited any problems in regular use would be safe to continue to use if you are able to tighten the harness and the straps remain locked and the button does not get stuck.
Also, in an emergency, it is possible to free a stuck harness adjustment button. This can be done by opening the ClickTight panel and pushing the plunger of the button mechanism out from underneath. Once it has been unstuck, the harness can be tightened and will lock for the duration of the trip. You must then discontinue use of an affected carseat as per Britax instructions below.
We are also told that there was a production change and retailers will be stocking updated models very soon. A recall also applies to Canada: Transport Canada Recall Information.
Dear Britax Consumer:
Britax Child Safety, Inc., in cooperation with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Transport Canada, is conducting a recall of certain Advocate ClickTight, Boulevard ClickTight, and Marathon ClickTight model convertible car seats. Britax has decided that these models manufactured between August 1, 2014 and July 29, 2015 contain a defect with the harness adjuster button (red), which may pose a safety hazard.
Affected Model Numbers and Names:
- E9LT95Q ADVOCATE CT US, CIRCA
- E9LT95Z ADVOCATE CT US, LIMELIGHT
- E9LT95N ADVOCATE CT US, TAHOE
- E1A025Q ADVOCATE CT XE CIRCA
- E1A015Q BOULEVARD CT XE CIRCA
- E1A016A BOULEVARD CT XE KALEIDOSCOPE
- E1A016H BOULEVARD CT XE METRO
- E1A135Q BOULEVARD CT US UCS, CIRCA
- E9LT85Q BOULEVARD CT US, CIRCA
- E9LT85S BOULEVARD CT US, SPLASH
- E9LT86A BOULEVARD CT US, KALEIDOSCOPE
- E9LT86F BOULEVARD CT US UCS, BLAKENEY
- E9LT86G BOULEVARD CT US UCS, WESTIN
- E9LT86H BOULEVARD CT US, METRO
- E1A005R MARATHON CT XE VERVE
- E1A006B MARATHON CT XE TWILIGHT
- E1A116L MARATHON CT TARGET, VIBE
- E9LT71Q MARATHON CT US, COWMOOFLAGE
- E9LT75R MARATHON CT US, VERVE
- E9LT76B MARATHON CT US, TWILIGHT
- E9LT76L MARATHON CT US, VIBE
- E9LT76N MARATHON CT US, RIO
- E9LT76P MARATHON CT US UCS, PRESCOTT
- EXA116L MARATHON CT US, VIBE
ONLY THE SEATS WITH THIS CLICKTIGHT DIAL ARE INCLUDED IN THE RECALL
NOTE: No other ClickTight products are included in this recall. If your Britax product has a different model number than the model numbers listed above, it is NOT included in this recall.
Description of the Defect: