2015 Britax Marathon CT Convertible Carseat Review
ClickTight isn’t a new-new technology anymore, since it was introduced on the Frontier and Pinnacle combination seats almost 2 years ago, but what *is* new is how it’s being applied to Britax’s convertible carseats. Britax has taken ClickTight and made it so that it takes seconds to install a ClickTight convertible seat. The new Britax Marathon CT is a Euro-styled, well-padded carseat designed to fit newborns to preschoolers.
Here’s a quick overview of the differences between the three new ClickTight convertibles. All Britax CT convertibles have the ClickTight Installation System, an impact-absorbing base with 7 recline positions, rip-stitch energy-absorbing tether, HUGS harness pads, a steel reinforced frame, EPP foam, and other side-impact protection features.
- Britax Marathon ClickTight – This model has a no-rethread harness and standard rubber HUGS pads. The top harness slot height and the overall height are about 2 inches shorter than the Boulevard CT and Advocate CT models. MSRP $329.99
- Britax Boulevard ClickTight – All the features of the Marathon CT plus SafeCell HUGS pads; deeper, plastic-surrounded headwings; “Click & Safe” snug harness indicator, top harness slots and overall height 2″ taller than Marathon CT. MSRP $369.99
- Britax Advocate ClickTight – All the features of the Boulevard CT plus external side-impact cushions. MSRP $419.99
Britax also markets a less expensive series of smaller convertibles. We recently reviewed the 2015 Britax Boulevard G4.1 that often sells for less than $270 at Amazon. Its sibling, the Roundabout G4.1 can be found online for under $170, and sometimes less when on sale.
Weight and Height Limits:
- Rear-facing 5-40 lbs. AND child’s head is 1” below top of head rest
- Forward-facing 20-65 lbs., 49″ or less, at least 1 year old*
*Britax recommends that children ride rear-facing to the highest weight or height specified
Marathon CT Overview:
- ClickTight installation system (also acts as a built-in lockoff device)
- Complete Side Impact Protection – deep protective shell
- 12 position headrest with no-rethread harness
- 2 crotch strap/buckle positions
- 2 position buckle with EZ-Buckle System to keep buckle to the front and forward of the child when loading
- Steel reinforced frame
- SafeCell impact-absorbing base – these cells compress in a crash, which lowers the center of gravity of the child and reduces forward head excursion
- Energy-absorbing, rip-stitch Versa-Tether®
- 7 recline positions to help achieve a proper recline angle in any vehicle
- Smooth bottom base with grippy edges that won’t damage vehicle upholstery
- FAA-approved for use on aircraft
- 10 yr lifespan makes it a good value; sells for under $280 at Amazon
- Made in the USA!
Marathon CT Measurements
Harness slots: 7 ½”-17 ½”
External widest point: 17 ½”
Shell height with headrest: 27”
Shoulder width: 14”
Crotch strap depth: 5”, 7”
Seat depth: 12”
Seat weight: 28 lbs.
No lockoffs! What? I am celebrating no lockoffs from the brand that introduced lockoffs to the American public?