The Graco Argos 80 Elite is an upgraded version of the original Graco Argos 70 Elite that we reviewed thoroughly here. This Argos 80 model offers plenty of safety, comfort and convenience features which make this seat an excellent choice for families looking for a sturdy, comfortable, forward-facing only seat with a no-rethread harness that will grow with their older child.
The Argos 80 is a forward-facing “combination” seat (Graco refers to it as a “Harnessed Booster”) that can be used with the 5-point harness until the harness is outgrown by weight or height and then the seat can be used as a belt-positioning booster using the vehicle’s lap/shoulder seatbelt. In booster mode you have the option to use the seat with the back (highback booster) or without the back (backless booster). I like to think of combination seats as “Stage 3″ seats that are most appropriate for kids over age 2 who have outgrown their convertible seats. Despite being labeled as a 3-in-1 carseat, the Argos 80 cannot be used rear-facing which is confusing for many parents who have come to associate the term “3-in-1″ with a product that can be used rear-facing, forward-facing and as a booster. If you’re looking for a rear-facing/forward-facing/booster seat, see our reviews of the Graco 4Ever All-in-One and Graco Milestone All-in-One.
Graco Argos 80 Elite Specs:
- 5-point harness: Forward-facing only for kids 20-80 lbs, at least 1 year old, height 27- 52″ tall (shoulders must be at or below top harness slots).
- Highback booster with vehicle lap/shoulder belt: 30-100 lbs., approximately 3-10 years old, height 38 – 57″ (top of ears must be below the top of the head support).
- Backless booster with vehicle lap/shoulder belt: 40-120 lbs., approximately 4-10 years old, height 40 – 57″ (must have adequate head support from the vehicle).
Graco Argos 80 Elite Features:
- No-rethread harness
- 3 crotch strap/buckle positions
- Standard hook-style lower LATCH anchor connectors (LATCH limit is 42 lbs.)
- Lockoff for installations with seatbelt
- Energy-absorbing EPS foam
- Steel reinforced frame
- Height-adjustable head support
- 3 Recline positions on base
- Integrated cup holder and storage cubby
- FAA approved for use in aircraft (with 5-pt harness)
- 10 year lifespan before expiration
Argos 80 Elite Measurements:
- Lowest harness height setting: 12″
- Tallest harness height setting: 18″
- 3 Crotch strap/buckle positions: 5.5″, 7″, 8.5″
- Booster height: 20″ to bottom of shoulder belt guide with headrest in max height position
- Weight: 21.8 lbs. (according to my digital bathroom scale)
The Argos 8o Elite model comes with a lower body support insert, crotch strap/buckle cover and harness strap covers. Remove the lower body insert if child weighs more than 35 lbs. The crotch strap/buckle cover is entirely optional. The harness strap covers have a grippy material on the back and they are REQUIRED when using the harness at any weight.